A basic staple of every lifter’s tool kit, your home gym just is not truly complete until you have your own set of bumper plates. Unlike classic weight plates, which are often constructed of iron or other metals, bumper plates are specifically made for use indoors.
As such, most bumper plates are made with rubber or some other similar kind of rubber compound. This is to prevent damage to the flooring when in use, and, as you can imagine, it makes them safer to drop should you need to avoid injuring yourself.
One brand you may have seen popping up on the weight rack at your local gyms is Vulcan, and it’s really no surprise.
Vulcan Bumper Plates are some of the most highly sought after plates in the fitness industry for gyms and professional athletes alike, thanks to their incredible resistance to damage and unrivalled longevity.
Then, please keep reading for our full in-depth review to learn everything you need to know about Vulcan Bumper Plates before you buy.
TLDR: Vulcan Bumper Plates Review
One hundred percent Veteran owned, Vulcan has been manufacturing and selling professional workout equipment since 2009 from its facility in Charlotte, North Carolina, in the United States.
All Vulcan Bumper Plates are made from solid, vulcanized rubber (vulcanization is a type of chemical process that increases the tensile strength of rubber) and sealed with a protective coating.
Furthermore, Vulcan Bumper Plates are extensively drop tested more than ten thousand times and stringently adhere to the standards set forth by the International Weightlifting Federation.
Pros and Cons:
- Pro: You can purchase bumper plates in premade sets or pick individual pairs to create your own custom set
- Pro: Available in a variety of colors, designs, and weights to suit any level athlete and any gym decor
- Pro: Vulcan offers discounts for large purchases and Military discounts for U.S. service members and veterans
- Pro: All Vulcan Bumper plates are backed by varying manufacturer’s warranty against defects and damages
- Con: Availability is touch and go on Amazon, so you may have to order directly from the official Vulcan website
- Con: Not all products are eligible for free shipping, and if you do end up returning your purchase, you’re liable for shipping costs and can only be refunded as much as 80% of your original purchase
Is It Worth It?
Although Vulcan may be a relatively young company, its dedication to creating top-tier fitness equipment has quickly made it a top competitor in both the in-home and professional gym arenas.
And when it comes to bumper plates, you really can’t do much better than Vulcan. Keeping this and the previously discussed aspects in mind, we think Vulcan Bumper Plates are definitely worth the investment.
Do you need a bit more information before you can decide if Vulcan Bumper Plates are the right plates for you and your workout? Then continue reading for our deep-dive into Vulcan Bumper Plates below to find out even more.
In-Depth Review of the Vulcan Bumper Plates
Types of Vulcan Bumper Plates
Vulcan currently offers 5 different lines of bumper plates that can be purchased in your choice of pairs or sets.
- Black Training Bumper Plates – With a classic black finish, these plates range from 10 pounds to 55 pounds and feature Vulcan’s signature forged steel inserts
- Color Training Bumper Plates – A bright addition to any gym, these plates are color-coded according to weight for your convenience as they mimic the colors used by professional Olympic weightlifters
- Vulcan Absolute Competition Bumper Plates – Guaranteed to be within 10 grams of the stated weight, these plates are drop tested 10,000 times before they even leave the warehouse
- V-Lock Rubber Change Plates – These unique bumper plates are made with solid virgin rubber, no metal included, so you never have to worry about sliding, bar damage, or rust again
- Alpha Bumper Plates – Featuring Vulcan’s exclusive, unique rubber compound (patent currently pending), the Alpha Bumper Plates can be used (and dropped) indoors and outdoors due to their unparalleled low bounce and durability
All Vulcan Bumper Plates have a 17.7 in (450 mm) plate diameter and a collar opening measuring 1.9 in (50.4 mm). Featuring a thin profile that ranges from 1.06 into 3.06 in, depending on the weight size you choose, all Vulcan Bumper Plates are made in adherence with the International Weightlifting Federation Standards.
Vulcan offers quality you can trust, as they exclusively use virgin rubber rather than recycled and reheated plastic that’s more likely to deteriorate over time. Additionally, their proprietary steel insert anchoring system ensures that your bumper plate collars can withstand regular use without breaking or bending.
- Available in Kilogram and Pound sets
- Backed by Vulcan Price Guarantee, which states that if you find your product elsewhere for a lower price within two weeks of purchase, you’re eligible for a rebate for use in-store and online
- Free shipping within the continental United States on most purchases
Depending on the style and size of the bumper plate you buy, the warranty differs. Here’s a quick overview of the warranties that Vulcan currently offers:
- Black Training Bumper Plates – 1-year warranty for 10 and 15-pound plates, 3-year warranty for 25, 35, 45, and 55-pound plates
- Color Training Bumper Plates – 1-year warranty for 10-pound plates, 3-year warranty for 10, 15, 20, and 25-kilogram plates, and for 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55-pound plates
- Vulcan Absolute Competition Bumper Plates – 5-year warranty for 10, 15, 20, and 24-kilogram plates
- V-Lock Rubber Change Plates – 5-year warranty for all weight plates
- Alpha Bumper Plates – 1-year warranty for 10-pound plates. 3-year warranty on 25, 35, 45, and 55-pound plates.
Who Is It Best For?
Because there is such a wide variety of Vulcan Bumper Plates to choose from, there are sets and pairs to suit virtually any level athlete.
For beginners looking for a more basic set, we recommended starting off with a smaller bundle like the classic black 160 Bumper Plate Set. For more experienced athletes looking for serious weight, the colorful 1,000 Lb Alpha Bumper Plate Set is as stylish as it is rugged.
What Do People Say About It?
Okay, so you know the specifics, but sometimes, you just need a second opinion before you can feel confident in a product. We understand and totally agree with you.
That’s why we’ve done a bit of reconnaissance and found out what other users have to say about their experiences using Vulcan Bumper Plates in their homes.
According to one user, As Many Reviews As Possible, “The benefit of having virgin rubber over the recycled rubber is that with the virgin rubber, the bounce is a lot less than you’ll see on high temps…”
In his extensive review, As Many Reviews as Possible goes on to say, “If you’re looking for very high-quality bumper plates for your affiliates or your home gym, then I would probably look into the Vulcan Strength Black Training Plates.”
FitnessTestLab, a channel on YouTube hosted by a gentleman named Marco, offers their opinion on Vulcan Bumper Plates, saying,
“They’re very nice looking…low bounce… I do think that bumper plates are the right thing to put in a home gym, just because they’re safer than metal plates… With rubber plates, if I do happen to drop something by accident, then there’s a good chance that my floor isn’t going to be damaged.”
Vulcan has somehow earned an impressive rating on Amazon, and the reviewers are raving.
One verified purchaser, Nicholas Marki, says, “This pair of 55 lb bumper plates are awesome. They fit well to the Olympic bar (2″) and appear to absorb the landing well.”
Another reviewer whose purchase has been verified and who uses the handle Kw keeps it simple and sweet, adding, “High-quality bumpers at a great price. Perfect for a garage gym.”
The Verdict: Is It Worth It?
So, we’ve covered user reviews, specifications, types of Vulcan Bumper Plates, pros and cons, and more. This, finally, brings us to our final question, are Vulcan Bumper Plates worth buying for your in-home gym?
Having gone over absolutely everything there is to possibly know about Vulcan Bumper Plates, it’s become abundantly clear that they are, without a doubt, worth your investment.
Whether you’re just starting to lift weights or training for the professional arena, Vulcan has Bumper Plates to fit your needs and budget without sacrificing quality.
If you like this article, you may also be interested in our article on The Best Bumper PLates on the Market. You can also check out our other articles, reviews, blogs, and more on Dumbbellsreview.com.