If you’ve been to the gym recently, or if you remember what it’s like to go to a local gym, then the chances are that you’ve seen a rack of brightly colored rubber plates.
Those red, blue, yellow, green, and black weights with an iron hub are called bumper plates.
Unlike rubber coated plates, bumper plates consist of dense rubber and, generally, are not bouncy.
Bumper plates, instead, have a dead-blow bounce that allows them to bounce up only about an inch or so before landing.
This is why, for Olympic lifts like the clean-and-jerk and the snatch, bumper plates are the top choice.
Keep reading to find out our picks for the top five best bumper plates in 2020.
Top 5 Best Bumper Plates in 2020
1. Rogue Echo Bumper Plates
This brand currently offers four Echo Bumper Plate options, including the V1, V2, Color Echo Bumper, and the MIL-Spec Echo Bumper.
Rogue’s Echo Plates are available for purchase in sets or in pairs to give you a variety of buying options.
- Available in individual pairs of 10 lbs to 55 lbs, or full sets of up to 350 lbs
- It measures 450 mm in diameter in accordance with IWF standards (International Weightlifting Federation)
- The majority of Rogue’s Echo series is approved for use in the U.S. Army Combat Fitness Test (US ACFT)
- The assortment of color, weight, style, and price options to match any in-home gym or budget
- Stainless steel inserts to ensure longevity after intensive usage
- Unlike some of Rogue’s USA-made products, Echo Plates are imported from China, and as a result, you may face longer shipping and manufacturing periods due to current restrictions before receiving the item
- The Color Echo line in Rogue’s Echo Bumper Plate series is not US ACFT approved and, therefore, is not suitable for those currently training for Army specific service
Rogue Echo Bumper Plates are currently unavailable for purchase through Amazon.
2. Fringe Sport Contrast Bumpers
Fringe Sport offers the classic, industrial design that defines weight plates with bold, colorful lettering for easily identifiable plates that last.
To ensure long-term durability, Fringe Sport Contrast Bumpers use specially formulated, high-density virgin rubber and stainless steel ‘hooked’ inserts.
- The company uses customer-focused quality control, shipping, and manufacturing processes to ensure your purchase faces the utmost scrutiny from the moment you chose your product until it arrives at your doorstep
- 1-year warranties on 10 and 15 lb plates, and, 3-year warranties on 25, 35, 45, and 55 lb plates; all warranties come with free returns for qualified orders
- Available in 10 lbs to 55 lbs individual pairs of plates, or 100 lbs to 460 lbs bumper plate sets
- Convenient option to add collars or spring clips to your order for an additional fee
- 365 Days Returns Policy and 30 Day Returns Policy provides peace of mind for your investment
- Con: Fringe Sport does not currently offer international shipping or shipping to Hawaii and Alaska due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Con: The raised lettering is painted on and not molded; as a result, some customers may experience flaking off of the paint on the bumper plate lettering
3. Rep Fitness Bumper Plates
If you’re serious about your plates as you are about your workout, then-Rep Fitness is among the top options for your home gym.
These series feature an array of different styles and weights, as well as your choice of imperial or metric units.
- They offer a 5% discount for all Police, Military, Fire, and EMT personnel
- Available in 5 lb – lb and 10 kg – 25 kg pairs, or 160 lb – 370 lb and 90 kg – 140 kg sets
- They come with a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee in addition to 0% APR financing for your purchase
- They rigorously test their plates for over 12,000 drops from a height of 8 ft to verify the durability of every product
- Rep Fitness follows international color standards (25 lbs – Green, 35 lbs – Yellow, 45 lbs – Blue, 55 lbs – Red)
- Warranty length and coverage vary by product, so you’ll have to make sure to read the fine print of your specific product’s warranty before purchasing
- If you choose to purchase the more environmentally friendly Hi-Temp Plates and use them with your other plates, you effectively void the warranty for all non- Hi-Temp Plates used
4. Titan Urethane LB Bumper Plates
Because Titan has an unprecedented selection of Bumper Plates with over 60 differing products in both imperial and metric units, we’re going to focus on their most popular line, Titan Urethane LB Plates.
- The complete 340 lbs Titan Urethane LB Bumper Plates Set follows international color standards and includes a pair of 10lbs black bumper plates
- Vibrant plate color allows you to conveniently choose and organize your weight plates without reading each plate label
- Titan Fitness Urethane Bumper Plates feature shiny hard chrome inserts, so your equipment looks as professional as it performs
- A durometer rating of 90 assures minimal bounce on drops and durable design
- Affordable, flexible buying options allow you to buy what you need, as you need it individually
- Every Titan Fitness order is processed and shipped directly from Titan Distribution centers to provide you with an entirely in-house customer experience
- The 10 lbs black bumper plates have a plate diameter of 415 mm as opposed to the IWF standard of 450 mm used for the rest of the set
5. ProSourceFit SR Bumper Plates
SR Bumper Plates from ProSourceFit take the top spot on our list for their unrivaled economic accessibility and extreme robustness.
Because SR Bumper Plates are intentionally crafted to be multifunctional, they’re ideal for CrossFit, weight training, strength training, bodybuilding, and Olympic lifts.
- Slim, narrow design makes SR Bumper Plates ideal for stacking multiple weights onto your bar
- All ProSourceFit SR Bumper Plates are made to accommodate 2-inch barbell sleeves
- High quality, solid virgin rubber plates and stainless steel inserts
- As a set, they are the most affordable option for home gyms and commercial gyms alike
- ProSourceFit provides a 1-year warranty, as well as a 30-day return period and full refunds for all of their products
- With a durometer rating of 88, these plates are built for low bounce and can withstand repeated drops without cracking your floor or terrifying your pets with loud bangs
- ProSourceFit SR’s Plates are not currently sold in sets, so you’ll have to buy each pair individually to create your own full set
Buying Guide: Which One Should You Invest In?
Types of Plates
Weight plates are often classified into three groups according to the materials used to make them: steel plates, recycled rubber/urethane-coated steel plates, and bumper plates.
While steel plates are popular for their lower cost per pound, they are often louder and more cumbersome to deal with than coated steel plates and bumper plates.
Durability and Quality
The number one issue faced by athletes who are familiar with bumpers is cracking.
Your plates have to be able to withstand the constant abuse of being dropped if they’re going to last for the long haul.
For this reason, the high quality of the materials used and the durability of your bumpers are essential.
For non-calibrated Olympic plates, most professionals consider a manufacturer’s accuracy claim that’s within +/- 2% of declared weight to be adequate for their purposes.
What this means, is that for any weight listed at 45 lbs, you can expect a variation in the actual weight range from 44.1 lbs to 45.9 lbs.
In general, you can expect most bumpers that are widely available to have a slight weight differential.
However, you should not be able to notice any significant differences during your workouts.
Barbell plates are made entirely of dense recycled rubber plates and are the product of years of Olympic weightlifting technology evolution.
The bumper plates are thinner than steel plates without sacrificing rigidity and durability, and although more costly, are safer to use than its earlier cast iron incarnations.
As previously stated, a bumper plate is significantly safer than their iron and steel plate counterparts.
This is due in no small part to the simple fact that dropping dense virgin rubber on any surface is less likely to cause damage than dropping hard steel or cast iron on the same surface.
Beyond being safer than the majority of cast-iron and steel plates, bumpers are tough enough to take the abuse of continually being dropped and built to provide years of use despite it.
When it comes to your in-home gym, these bumper plates are unequivocally the best quality and durability for your overall investment.
ProSourceFit’s premium material, weight accuracy, and transparency concerning weight accuracy make them our number one pick for bumper plates in 2020.
If you like this article, click here to check out our other reviews on DumbbellsReview.com.