Did you know that kettlebell training can increase your maximum and explosive strength by almost 20%?
An affordable alternative to expensive weight stacks and training equipment, kettlebells are one of the most efficient tools you can use to improve your aerobic capacity and power. (1, 2)
Of course, it can be daunting, and even potentially dangerous, to jump headfirst into a new type of exercise without prior knowledge and proper guidance.
But, not everyone has the time, means, or ability to see a personal trainer that can help guide them through the process.
Here is where the best kettlebell workout DVDs come into play.
Kettlebell workout DVDs can help you to achieve your fitness goals from the comfort of your living room for less than half the cost of a gym membership.
Continue reading to learn more about kettlebells, their incredible benefits, and the top 5 best kettlebell workout DVDs you can use to begin your kettlebell workouts.
All About Kettlebell
What Is It?
Kettlebells tend to look a little archaic, kind of like a 5 to 100+ lb cannonball with a handle, but don’t let their old fashion look fool you.
These cast iron balls pack a stiff punch and challenge you to move almost every muscle in your body with explosive intensity. (3)
Unlike free weights, kettlebells have a center of mass that extends beyond the handle.
This means that kettlebells allow you to perform a wide range of ballistic movements that you just can’t achieve with barbells and dumbells. (4)
What’re the Benefits?
Because of their impressive versatility, you can use kettlebells to burn up to 400 calories in as little as 20 minutes while simultaneously targeting almost all of your core, arm, shoulder, leg, glutes, chest, and back muscles.
Additionally, the best kettlebell workout induces responses from your cardiovascular, neuromuscular, and metabolic systems.
These systems, in turn, work to improve your overall physical fitness, your cardiorespiratory fitness, as well as muscular strength and aerobic power.
Super intensive and surprisingly affordable, kettlebells can also improve your balance, posture, and grip strength, and have the ability to restore muscle mass in older adults.
Exercises with Kettlebells
If you’re just getting started with kettlebells, experts recommend 8 to 15 lb kettlebells for women and 15 to 25 lb kettlebells for the best results.
For intermediate to advanced level athletes, try 18 lb kettlebells for women and 35 lb kettlebells for men to begin and increase your weights.
Here are just a few of the kettlebell exercises you can look forward to trying:
- And many, many more
5 Best Kettlebell Exercise and Workout DVD
#5 Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts For Beginners
Price: on DVD or on Amazon Prime Video
What You’ll Get: Aptly named, Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts For Beginners is everything it claims to be and more.
Featuring three 25-minute kettlebell workouts designed and led by Paul Katami, national certified personal fitness trainer and celebrity instructor, this DVD has a total runtime of 79 minutes and a quite high rating on Amazon (that’s the best on this list!).
What You’ll Learn: The first workout concentrates on proper form and technique to serve as a tutorial helping you ease into the world of kettlebell exercises.
The second takes the moves you learned in the first workout and creates combinations and step by step drills you can use to follow along.
The third and final workout focuses on using everything you’ve learned to build muscle strength and completely shred your core.
- Ideal for beginners, offers an emphasis on performing kettlebell exercises safely and adequately
- You can easily add more weight and repetitions to increase the difficulty as your skills improve
- Helpful for fitness newcomers who need guidance on developing healthy habits like regular exercise
- Relatively short programs are limited in their scope of knowledge
- More experienced kettlebell users aren’t likely to get as much as beginners out of this program
#4 SKOGG System Kettlebell Workout DVD Set
Price: From the official Skogg Kettlebell Website or from Amazon
What You’ll Get: Michael Skogg, is a neuromuscular therapist, and an American Kettlebell Club Certified personal trainer, who presents his trademark kettlebell training system throughout the 5 DVD series.
The SKOGG System Kettlebell Workout System 5 DVD set has an astounding runtime of 644 minutes total and a good Amazon rating.
What You’ll Learn: The SKOGG System works with you through the first session to introduce the kettlebell and familiarize you with the proper movements and exercises.
The other four DVDs in the series feature different dedicated full-body kettlebell exercises categorized into different levels for beginners, intermediate, advanced and warrior athletes.
- Tailored to your skills, so even the best, and worst, athletes can workout along with the DVD
- Kettlebell workouts vary in duration, lasting from 10 to 35 minutes for variation
- Every session begins with a warm-up and ends with a cool-down stretching period
- Digital format isn’t available, only DVD hardcopies
- Michael Skogg has recently admitted to falsely claiming that he is a former Navy SEAL, resulting in a bit of controversy
#3 Iron Core Kettlebell
Price: From Walmart or from Amazon
What You’ll Get: Former bodybuilding competitor, Sarah Lurie, presents her 4 DVD Iron Core Kettlebell system for high-intensity kettlebell workouts.
Inspired by her own success using the kettlebell to recover from a debilitating injury, Lurie shares her 190 minutes long, specially curated exercise regimen to support you in reaching your fitness goals, so that you can be your best self.
What You’ll Learn: The Iron Core Kettlebell set by Sarah Lurie combines cardio, muscle conditioning, and strength training over the course of 4 workout DVDs.
The first program, Kettlebells the Iron Core Way 1, goes over all of the basic moves every kettlebell user should know.
The second DVD, Kettlebells the Iron Core Way 2, expands on your kettlebell workout library by introducing targeted and full-body exercises like deck squats and snatches.
Iron Core Warrior and Iron Core Boot Camp are the final two programs in the series; these teach you how to use the moves you’ve already learned in intensive, muscle-targeting workout routines.
- Created for use by men and women of all ages
- Above average rating on amazon
- Clear, comprehensive instructions allow you to improve your skills
- Inspires and motivates you to challenge yourself as the workouts increase in intensity
- This set is best suited to those who are already familiar with kettlebell workouts
- Less approachable for beginners as some other workout systems
#2 RKS Kettlebell Workout DVD
What You’ll Get: The RKS Kettlebell Workout DVD, or the Reinhardt Kettlebell System, consists of 9 DVDs, a complete nutrition guide, and an RKS workout poster to hang up in your home gym or exercise space for inspiration.
You can sweat away fat, increase your strength, improve your endurance, enhance flexibility, and intensify your cardiovascular conditioning throughout the RKS 4 week program.
What You’ll Learn: The RKS Kettlebell Workout DVD set provides you with 16 different 30-minute workout programs, four times a week, for a full-body workout.
The full nutrition guide works in tandem with the DVD workout programs so that you can achieve your best results and get fit, fast.
Also, with an above average rating on Amazon, you can be assured that you’ll get visible results that last.
- 500 minutes of the best expert kettlebell workout instruction
- Varied workouts prevent you from feeling bored and keep your gains balanced
- Full four times a week, 4-week program forces you to push yourself and allows you to see your improvements as you progress
- Workouts only require one kettlebell to save you money
- The warm-ups and cool-downs get repeated for every program
- Geared towards men and experienced athletes already familiar with free weights and kettlebell workouts
#1 GoFit Bob Harper Inside Out Method – Kettlebell Cardio Shred Workout DVD, Cardio Fitness, Maximum Fat Burn, by GoFit
Price: From GoFit or from Amazon
What You’ll Get: Bob Harper presents his innovative kettlebell workouts and techniques in his Inside Out Method DVD set.
This series tests your endurance and takes your cardio workout to the next level in less than an hour, with only one kettlebell for your convenience.
The high-intensity circuits presented by Bob Harper in the Inside Out Method DVD bulk and cut your muscles while challenging your fitness limitations and annihilating calories.
What You’ll Learn: The Bob Harper Inside Out Method from GoFit follows the philosophy of “Train. Recover. Repeat.” to teach you how to use your kettlebell to establish life-long exercise habits.
Using precision-target cardio and strength training, Harper guides you through lean muscle-building, fat-burning kettlebell workouts that recruit virtually every muscle group and keep your heart pumping fast.
This high-speed, explosive kettlebell workout regimen gets you ripped rapidly and is sure to try even the most experienced of athletes’ endurance.
- High-velocity kettlebell circuits use your body’s resistance in combination with your kettlebell for the best results possible
- Stamina and endurance training improves your fitness and abilities in all areas of life, not just your athletic performance
- Teaches you to sculpt and tone muscles safely by first giving a thorough overview of body mechanics and proper form
- Over 110 customers on Amazon have reviewed the series and rated it 3.9 out of 5 stars
Which One Should You Try?
Using a kettlebell workout DVD, for newcomers and experts alike, can help you to develop new skills, build and tone muscle, and improve your overall physicality.
If you follow a personal trainer’s devised kettlebell workout program, whether you exercise with a standard cast iron kettlebell or a modern adjustable kettlebell, you’re guaranteed to see improvements in your muscle strength, definition, and power.
So, you may be asking, which kettlebell workout DVD takes the cake?
The best kettlebell workout DVD is the GoFit Bob Harper Inside Out Method – Kettlebell Workout DVD, Cardio Fitness, Maximum Fat Burn, by GoFit.
Harper’s circuits drive you to perform better while giving you the skills that you need to do it, regardless of how athletic you are.
It’s accessibility, affordability, and versatility make it perfect for anyone looking to improve their fitness and challenge their limits.
If you like this article, then check out our other reviews on Dumbbellreviews.com for everything you need to know about fitness and exercise equipment before you buy it.
For tips on healthy living and up to date articles on how you can improve your overall wellness, check out our blog. We provide information on everything from the Top 5 Weight Lifting Gloves, to Why Dumbbells Are So Expensive, and more.
- Freeletics Review – Is it as Effective Exercise as Advertised?
I’m a personal trainer based in Denver (Matrix Gym) and a true fitness nerd. If I’m not training clients or working out at my home gym, I’m probably skiing, cycling or hiking with my dog Rufus.
Get in touch: email@example.com