Getting bored with your workout routine? One of the cheapest ways to improve your home gym and widen your arsenal of exercises is to get yourself a set of adjustable kettlebells.
Adjustable kettlebells are multipurpose strength training weights that grow with your skill.
Unlike traditional dumbbell weights, an adjustable kettlebell allows you to change weight amounts quickly while also taking up a considerably smaller amount of space in your home.
Are you ready to upgrade your at-home gym and your fitness routine with adjustable kettlebells, yet?
Continue reading for an in-depth buying guide and your top 5 best kettlebell options.
Adjustable Kettlebells: The Ultimate Buying Guide
What To Look For When Buying An Adjustable Kettlebell?
There are five questions you should ask before purchasing a set of adjustable kettlebells.
- How many weight levels do they come with?
- At what increment do the weight levels increase and decrease?
- Can weight adjustments be made easily?
- Is the handle comfortable and easy to grip?
- What type of materials are they made out of?
To get the right kettlebell for you, consider keeping track of how much you can currently lift.
If you’re just getting into weight lifting, you’re not going to need a 150-pound kettlebell with 25-pound increments.
Conversely, if you’re already an expert bodybuilder, then you’re not going to want 10-pound weights that increase in 2-pound increments.
By tracking your weight lifting progress, you’ll be able to see what skill level you’re currently at and get kettlebells that suit your workouts.
What Are The Benefits?
Kettlebell workouts target your core, arms, legs, glutes, and back for a full-body workout that you can use as a dedicated routine, or integrate into your existing fitness regimen.
One study conducted by the American Council on Exercise even found that kettlebell workouts burn “at least 20.2 calories per minute. That’s equivalent to running a 6-minute mile pace.”
In addition to all of the benefits that traditional iron kettlebells offer, the best adjustable kettlebells offer the benefits of convenience, practicality, and affordability.
What Workouts Can You Do?
There are more than 50 different workouts that you can do using either one or two adjustable kettlebells.
For the sake of brevity, here are five of many muscle-targeting kettlebell exercises that your body will thank you for:(4)
- Straight Arm Sit
- Hip Thrust
- Bottoms Up Press
- Double Lunge
- Bob and Weave
Best Adjustable Kettlebells - Top 5 Options
1. Bowflex Selecttech Kettlebell
Black, red and ultra-modern, the Bowflex Kettlebell may look like a traditional kettlebell, but it offers so much more.
The 40 lb Kettlebell from Bowflex uses a patented weight-adjustment system that allows for quick and easy mid-workout weight changes.
The Kettlebell comes with 6 weight plates in various increments: 8 lb (approx. 4 kg), 12 lbs (approx. 5 kg), 20 lbs (approx 9 kg), 25lbs (approx. 11 kg), 35lbs (approx. 16 kg), and 40lbs (approx. 18 kg).
This adjustable Kettlebell comes with a rounded, sturdy base to accommodate pushups. It also features a cast-iron grip handle for one or two-handed exercises and comes with a square base pad holder.
2. Powerblock Adjustable Kettlebell
The Adjustable Kettlebell from Powerblock uses an ergonomic, compact design that utilizes a trapezoidal shape rather than the usual round style of most kettlebells.
This helps save space while still providing different weight increments of 18 lbs (approx. 8.2 kg), 22 lbs (approx. 10 kg), 26 lbs (approx. 11.8 kg), and 35 lbs (approx. 15.9 kg).
- The small design makes it perfect for in-home gyms and commercial settings.
- The durable design means you won’t have to replace it for many years to come.
- Flat base allows you to do push-ups.
- Limited weight range compared to some of the other models on our list.
- Relatively expensive, however, because of the high-grade steel materials, you do get what you pay for with this model.
Powerblock’s 18 to 35-Pound Kettlebell also comes with a steel selection pin that features a magnetic lock to safely switch between weight increments.
The super-wide handle makes switching between one and two-handed kettlebell exercises a breeze, and the shell is specially contoured for your optimal comfort.
3. Ironmaster Quick-Lock Kettlebells
With one set of weight plates and locking screws, you can adjust all of your weight lifting gear Adjustable in 2.5-pound increments, the Quick-Lock Adjustable Kettlebell Handle is super durable and weighs 22.5 pounds (approx. 10.2 kg) empty.
This ergonomically designed kettlebell can hold up to 80 pounds (approx. 36.3 kg) with add on locking screws, and up to 57.5 pounds with standard locking screws.
- Made out of super durable solid cast iron and finished with a high-resistance black powder coating.
- Accommodates single and double-hand use without interfering screws
- Incredible weight range means you’ll never need other equipment.
- Limited lifetime warranty only covers specific defects and manufacturer’s errors.
- The handle, plates, locking screws, and dumbbell attachments are all sold separately.
IronMaster’s Quick-Lock series features easy to read weight markings in both the imperial and metric system.
Also, IronMaster’s signature symmetrical weight plate and handle designs allow for well-balanced weight distribution for a safe and effective workout.
4. Empower Adjustable Kettlebell
The 3-in-1 Empower Adjustable Kettlebells are a fantastic option if you’re just looking to dip your toes into the waters of kettlebell workouts.
It comes with a 5-pound (approx. 2.3 kg) base and two weight plates that allow you to adjust your kettlebell weight up to 8 pounds (approx. 3.6 kg) or 12 pounds (approx. 5.4 kg).
This set is ideal for those who are looking to add a cost-efficient, beginner’s kettlebell workout to their existing fitness routine.
- At 12 lbs, it’s only 6 x 10 x 6 inches and can be transported with ease.
- All purchases come with “Swing Yourself Fit,” a free DVD that features a total body workout to guide you as you get comfortable using your kettlebell.
- Comfort grip handle allows you to do one-handed and two-handed workouts.
- Some customers have experienced issues with the springs involved with the locking mechanism.
- There can be a change in shape when you adjust that weight that may affect performance.
The 3-in-1 Empower Kettlebells are unique in that they’re made especially for women and use a patented click and twist design to adjust weights in 3 lb increments.
The soft-touch plastic shell and wide handle also make this the best kettlebell for seniors, teens, and physical therapy patients.
5. Kettlebell Kings Adjustable Kettlebell
Last, but certainly not least, is the Kettlebell Kings available is slick jet black and yellow or bright white, black and burnt orange.
The Kettlebell Kings uses 5-pound increments to help you gradually strengthen and build muscle without overworking yourself and causing an injury.
This kettlebell is capable of safely and securely holding 7 different weights of 5 pounds (approx. 2.3 kg), 10 pounds (approx. 4.5 kg), 15 pounds (approx. 6.3 kg), 20 pounds (approx 9.1 kg), 25 pounds (approx. 11.3 kg), 30 pounds (approx. 13.6 kg), 35 pounds (approx. 15.9 kg), and 40 pounds (approx. 18.1 kg).
- This kettlebell is versatile enough to suit any level of weight lifting skill and compact enough to fit in any room in your home, thanks to its use of 7 weights in one.
- Wide, premium cast iron handle for one-handed and two-handed workouts as well as push-ups.
- Reliable locking system allows you to perform overhead and other complex movements without worrying about the plates sliding off and injuring you.
- The quietest kettlebell on this list, as the secured plates don’t slide or bang
- The Kettlebell Kings is popular in the weight lifting community so there are a plethora of resources on websites like YouTube that can help you learn how to properly use it
- Honestly, we couldn’t find any.
Kettlebell Kings also utilizes a simple adjustment mechanism that allows you to change weights with the touch of a finger.
All you have to do is slide a circle on top of the kettlebell to unlock the weight plates, then it’s as easy as adding or removing the plates to go from lifting 10 lbs to 40 lbs.
Honorable Mention: 10 to 40 Pound Adjustable Kettlebell
The 10 to 40 Pound Titan Fitness Adjustable Kettlebell is similar to the Kettlebell Kings in appearance and mechanisms.
The main difference here is the price.
Bottomline: Which One Should You Buy?
Get ready to bulk up with a full-body workout, and the many benefits it provides, because it’s time to definitively name the absolute best kettlebell for your home gym.
So my overall favorite as you saw is the Bowflex Selecttech one. However it is rather expensive and if you’re looking for a cheaper, but still a very good option, then go for the Titan one. It’s really good, at 40% of the price.
Capable of holding as much as 40 pounds on a single dumbbell that’s actually comfortable to use.
Also, if you’re looking for a new fitness challenge, try integrating adjustable dumbbells and kettlebells for a fitness routine just like the pros.
I’m a personal trainer based in Denver (Matrix Gym) and a true fitness nerd. If I’m not training clients or working out at my home gym, I’m probably skiing, cycling or hiking with my dog Rufus.
Get in touch: email@example.com