Vertical climbers are great exercise machines for anyone who wants to build strength and burn calories quickly, right from their living room.
They provide an alternative to rock climbing and jogging, and can be used for high-intensity exercises, as well as some steady-state cardio.
Vertical climbers provide a full-body workout, engaging your core, arms, back, and of course, your legs.
They not only improve your cardiovascular health but also they also help you build strength at the same time.
Finally, as you’ll see throughout this article, most vertical climbers are affordable; they don’t take up a lot of space and are easy to store even in small apartments.
If you’re wondering which product to choose and what the best vertical climber machines are, keep reading to see the top 10 products.
Best Vertical Climbers – Top 10 Products
1. Maxi Climber
The Maxi Climber is a vertical climber that promises a total body workout and twice as many calories burned as compared to other similar machines.
- Allows a maximum weight of 240 lbs, but there’s also an XL version that can go up to 300 lbs.
- Easy to assemble.
- Provides a 21-day interval program along with a complete meal plan.
- Folds, and it is easy to store.
- Adjustable height
- The display is not very well placed. It can be hard to see the timer while you’re on the Maxi Climber.
- Some users complain it broke down easily after very little usage.
As a bonus, you’ll also get a waist trimmer belt, an armband, and a fitness mat, and you can download the Max CLimber app to track your progress.
2. Relife Rebuild Your Life Vertical Climber
Relife is a cheap, yet great vertical climber. It has several special features such as inclined pedals that offer more stability, enhanced foot support, and five adjustable levels so you can create a wider variety of workouts.
The maximum weight allowed is 2560 lbs, which is great for a climber at this price.
- Fairly easy to assemble, and it is very sturdy.
- The handles do not slip.
- It needs a lot of care and greasing after only a few workouts.
Citybirds vertical climber is another cheap, foldable vertical climber, perfect for those who need a good exercise machine but have little storage space.
Some special features include:
- 300 lbs maximum weight capacity;
- 90% of the assembly is done before delivery, so you can have it up and running in no time;
- The climber comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 2-year warranty.
- Adjustable height has 5 levels
- It is very stable and has suction cups at the bottom to make it safer.
- Its LCD screen is intuitive and helps assess workout progress.
- The springs are made of steel, which gives a low impact on your knees and makes the pedals more durable.
- Many users complain it is not as sturdy as it should be given the suction cups and the material.
- Taller users, of 5’8” and more, also complain they can’t get such an intense workout because the steps are steep enough for their height.
4. Merax Vertical Climber
Merax is definitely on the cheap side of foldable vertical climbers, and you’ll find it on Amazon.
It is sturdy, and its maximum weight capacity is 350 lbs. It is also adjustable so that it can be used by people of different heights.
- Like all vertical climbers, Merax provides a full-body workout, helping you tone your core, your arms, and your back along with your legs.
- The base is pre-assembled.
- It is stable due to its square steel tube design.
- An LCD monitor that helps you assess your progress while you work out.
- Many complain it isn’t as durable as it should be, and problems start appearing after just a few months of moderate use.
5. Conquer Vertical Climber
At just 41 lbs, Conquer vertical climber is one of the lightest machines of this kind. Its maximum weight capacity is only 220 lbs.
It is great for beginners and those who just want some steady-state, low impact cardio.
- Made of steel.
- Also foldable, which makes it even easier to store.
- The handles are covered in foam.
- Not the best if you are more advanced and want to do some high-intensity training.
- The maximum weight allowed is fairly low.
6. VersaClimber SM Sport Model
VersaClimber is a more expensive climber machine, available on the official website. Depending on any extra features you may choose, the price can increase.
Pros and features:
- The maximum weight allowed is 350 lbs.
- Structure is made of steel, and it is very sturdy and durable.
- It provides a total body workout.
- Has adjustable tension control from 0 to 500 lbs.
- There is a contralateral movement pattern.
- It has digital programs for both race and strength.
- The climbing angle is 75 degrees.
- Warranty for the frame is three years. For the rollers, chains, and slides, it is two years, while for the electronic parts and labor, it is one year.
- The price is probably more than many would like to pay for an at-home vertical climber.
- It is fairly heavy, at 150 lbs, so it isn’t exactly easy to move around the house.
Best Choice‘s vertical climber is, in reality, two machines in one as it has an exercise bike seat.
- 330 lbs of weight capacity.
- The adjustable arms mimic rock climbing, engaging all the major muscles.
- It has eight resistance levels for the exercise bike.
- The LCD display helps you track distance, speed, time, and calories.
- It is foldable and easy to store.
- Users complain that it is not durable and the wheels come apart easily.
Available on the official Costway website, this vertical climber has a surprising number of features for such a low price.
- It weighs only 39 lbs.
- It has an adjustable resistance system.
- The seat is fully adjustable, and it has an ergonomic multi-positioning adjustment.
- You can do complete body exercises.
- The maximum weight allowed is 265 lbs.
- The warranty is only for 90 days.
X-Factor is a basic vertical climber machine, perfect for those who want a decent cardio workout, but don’t care about extra features.
- Despite being lightweight, it is suitable for both low and high-intensity workouts.
- While the 250 lbs maximum weight capacity may be considered on the low end, it is very good for a climber in this price category.
- Some users complained it is difficult to assemble, and even that it doesn’t come with everything you need to assemble it.
Body Champ Leisa Hart Vertical Stepper Climber is great for both high-intensity and low-intensity exercises, it works your entire body and is fairly durable.
Pros and features:
- Has a bungee suspension system that helps protect the knees and joints.
- Provides a full-body exercise and mimics rock climbing.
- Has a series of safety features such as non-slip handles and a wide base for better stability.
- Has wheels which makes it easy to move around the house.
- Users complain it is not very durable and especially not made for everyday use. Within 2-3 months, many report some of the parts aren’t working properly anymore.
Vertical Climbers Buying Guide: What To Look For?
Design and Durability
To know the best vertical climbers in the market, you’ll first need to check its design and make sure you’re buying something durable.
Stay away from machines made of cheap plastic, especially around the main parts.
In terms of maximum capacity, most low-price climbers will offer 200-250 lbs while more expensive machines can go up to 350 and even 400 lbs.
The capacity doesn’t necessarily dictate durability, but you want to make sure you’re getting the right climber for you.
The next factor to look at is its stability. A sturdy, stable vertical climber will allow you to workout safely, with limited risk of injury.
This is seen both in the base, but also the overall design. A poorly balanced vertical climber won’t be very sturdy, even if it has a good base.
Its weight might be a factor, but heavier climbers aren’t necessarily more stable.
Adjustability and Easy Storage
This is another crucial feature of a vertical climber. You want to be able to adjust the handles and the height, or you risk to be very uncomfortable on your machine.
Most brands will offer cush features, so make sure to check what is adjustable and what isn’t before you make a purchase.
Foot Pedal Size
This is another important aspect both for safety and comfort. Many climbers also come with adjustable straps to make it even safer for you to workout.
Finally, the resistance levels will inevitably dictate the types of workouts you can do.
A machine with fewer options will be more suitable for those who want a low-intensity, steady-state cardio session.
For those looking for more intense workouts, a vertical climber with more resistance options will be needed.
Vertical climbers are amazing cardio machines that will help you get a total body workout through a high-intensity workout.
Those looking for less intense workouts can also use them safely. They come in a wide range of prices, and many are foldable, making them easy to store in any home.
If you liked this review, don’t hesitate to check out our other reviews to read about various home gym equipment, supplements, and more to help you achieve your goals a lot quicker.