If you haven’t yet noticed, dumbbells are kind of our thing, here at DumbbellsReview, and with good reason.
Dumbbells introduce versatility and variety to your workout while providing you with increased muscle activation and stabilization. (1)
However, not too many people want to spend thousands of dollars on large, bulky sets of huge weights. That’s where adjustable dumbbells come in.
Heavy adjustable dumbbells allow you to change how much weight you’re lifting at a time, effectively doing the work of an entire set of dumbbells, but in a much more manageable sized pair of weights.
Keep reading our review of the five best adjustable dumbbells for heavy lifters to learn everything you need to know before you buy.
5 Best Adjustable Dumbbells For Heavy Lifters
Since 1986, Bowflex has committed to perfecting its line of workout equipment for professional gyms, and in-home gyms alike.
The Selecttech 1090 Dumbbells include over 30 weight options, or 17 sets, into a single pair of dumbbells.
The adjustable dial feature allows you to switch between weight sizes in five-pound increments efficiently so that you can increase your resistance and strength following your progress.
- Weight range is from 10 lbs (4.5kg) to 90 lbs (40.8 kg) per dumbbell
- Heavy-duty, durable materials that last despite repeated use
- Quiet transitions between weight adjustments
- Slightly more expensive than some of the other options on this list
- The longer, wider metal grip can be uncomfortable for extended use with bare hands
- Adjustable in five pounds (2.3 kg) increments
- All SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells are compatible with the Bowflex Training App for iOS and Android
- Pre-assembled, durable design is ready for use on arrival
- Space efficient, and comes with an optional rack for simple storage
To find out even more about the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbells, you can also check out our thorough review of Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells here.
Amazon Link: Click here to check out the SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbells on Amazon.
PowerBlock’s Elite 90 Set of adjustable dumbbells is currently the largest, and one of the most popular, Elite dumbbell sets.
The welded steel construction and magnetic polypropylene pin for securely locking weights into place on the Elite 90 Set are rated for 500 lbs (226.8 kg) maximum load.
And, not to mention, just one pair of the Elite 90 Set from PowerBlock replaces the equivalent of 2,565 lbs (1,163.5 kg) of free weights or 28 pairs of dumbbells.
- Wide range of weights from 5 lbs (2.3 kg) to 90 lbs (40.8 kg)
- 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg) increments allow for greater diversification of weight training
- The unique rectangular design takes up less than 2 square ft. (approximately 61 square cm.) of space
- Ships in four separate boxes from most retailers
- These tend to be a bit noisier than some of the other adjustable dumbbells we’ve tested
- Strong, tested construction lasts through years of use
- Fast and secure weight changes make adjustments easy
- The contoured handle is ergonomically designed and padded for comfort
- Well-balanced, solid steel construction and smooth slide system
Amazon Link: Click here to see the official Amazon listing for the Powerblock Elite 90 Set of adjustable dumbbells.
To find out even more about the PowerBlock Elite 90 Set, you can also check out our thorough review of Powerblock Adjustable Dumbbells here.
The Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System from Ironmaster is unlike its many competitors on the market.
Rather than locking you into an all-in-one pair, Ironmaster Quick-Lock Dumbbell System is broken up according to what you need, with one pair of universal handles and your choice of weight sets to suit your fitness level.
Also, there’s our favorite aspect of Ironmaster’s Quick-Lock Dumbbells, the dependability, and sense of mind you get from knowing you’re using the same equipment as the pros at the gym.
- Massive weight range allows you to lift more than with the other adjustable dumbbell pairs on this list.
- Sturdy, square designed weights prevent any possible risk of instability or rolling during floor exercises.
- Considering the number of weights included and the lifetime guarantee on Quick-Lock Dumbbells from Ironmaster, they’re quite affordable.
- You have to remove the extra weights when not in use rather than already being integrated into their design.
- Weight sets and handles must be purchased separately, so they’re shipped independently as well.
- Commercial gym grade quality and durability
- Quick-lock design allows you to switch weights quickly and safely.
- Free shipping to the lower 48 US States
- Chrome weight plates, steel handle, and solid heat-treated steel screws
You can check out the Amazon listing for Ironmaster Quick-Lock Dumbbells by clicking here.
To find out even more about Ironmaster’s Quick-Lock Dumbbells, you can check out our thorough review of Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells here.
Although Yes4All offers a wide variety of adjustable weights, we’re going to focus on their heaviest set, the 200-Pound Adjustable Dumbbells.
Yes4All’s Dumbbells are made with rust-resistant cast iron weight plates, solid chrome handles, and spin-lock star collars.
While these may not be one of the best adjustable dumbbells, Yes4All 200-Pound Adjustable Dumbbells allow you to work out with commercial grade gym equipment, without paying for any unnecessary extras.
- Compact enough to be easily stored in a closet, garage, shed, or in-home gym
- Comes with 30-day satisfaction warranty and 1-year quality warranty
- Professional grade, long-lasting design with heavy-duty cast iron weight plates mimic the equipment you’d use at a commercial gym.
- Change weights in the same way as traditional barbells, so you’re not going to save any time with easy adjustments.
- The paint on these plates do tend to chip, especially the more you use them.
- Textured, diamond knurled chrome handle for maximum grip
- Uses star-lock collars to keep your plates in place throughout your workout
- Affordable without compromising durability
- No-frills, industrial appearance, and performance
You can click here to check out the official listing for Yes4All 200-Pound Adjustable Dumbbells on Amazon.
To find out even more about Yes4All 200-Pound Adjustable Dumbbells, you can check out our thorough review of Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells here.
5. Liadon Adjustable Dumbbell Set
Price:$159 to $299.
Liadon Adjustable Dumbbell Set comes in three varieties: the 33 pounds (15 kg) set, the 44 pounds (20 kg) set, and the 66 pounds (30 kg) set.
The Adjustable Dumbbell Sets from Liadon are the only dumbbells on this list, and one of the few that I’ve ever seen in general, to come with their protective case free of charge.
Additionally, they provide you with thick rubber sleeves for your weights so that if you drop your weights, you don’t have to worry about damaging your floors.
- Shiny chrome and sleek design complement the industrial feel of these, so they look as cool as you feel when you lift
- These are the cheapest option for the sets we’ve covered, making them budget-friendly
- Comes in a hard plastic case that protects your dumbbells when not in use and allows you to store them virtually anywhere
- Some of the other sets featured on this list did offer a wider variety of weight set options
- While you can combine sets to make your dumbbells heavier, you won’t be able to achieve the same weight as you might with heavier dumbbells we’ve previously discussed.
- Functions like a traditional barbell for weight adjustments
- Can be combined with Liadon’s barbell attachment also to be used as a full-length barbell
- Can also be mixed and matched with other Liadon weight sets to create a wider variety of lift options
- Space-saving and protective storage case
Click here to be redirected to the Liadon Store listing for Adjustable Dumbbells on their Amazon storefront.
Chances are, you already have some idea of what you’re looking for when it comes to choosing the best adjustable dumbbells for your in-home gym.
For this reason, dumbbells that work for one person, may not necessarily have the same appeal to another.
When picking out adjustable dumbbells for your in-home gym, try to focus on finding what set will work best for you, so that you can get the most out of your investment.
If you’re just looking to get started with your first set, for example, Liadon’s Adjustable Dumbbell Set is the lower weight, more affordable option that will grow with you as you improve.
However, if you’ve already been using dumbbells as a part of your regular fitness routine for some time, then you may be better off with a heavier, more industrial set like Yes4All 200-Pound Adjustable dumbbells.
PS! If you like this article, then you may also be interested in our in-depth comparison of Powerblock vs. Bowflex Dumbbells.