Best Upright Exercise Bike
An upright exercise bike is a stationary bike that is used for cardio exercises. They come with a saddle, pedals, and handlebars, with the pedals using resistance from a crankshaft, gears or chains.
If you are looking for equipment for your home gym, then you are in the right place as we dissect this equipment that is standard in most exercise gymnasium across the globe.
Read on as we take you through some of the best brands of stationary exercise bikes!
Top 5 Best Upright Exercise Bikes
1. 3G Cardio Elite UB
The 3G Cardio Elite UB recumbent bike is designed to be small and compact, which makes it great for small spaces, as it requires only 6.4 square feet.
It is also easy to move, since it is only 91 pounds, and has wheels for ease of mobility.
This recumbent bike is also designed for efficiency and comfort, with upper handlebars and an adjustable seat, that can adjust both horizontally and vertically.
The water bottle holder sits in the front frame, within easy reach during a workout.
For resistance, you can select from 16 levels of magnetic resistance, by rotating the user-friendly console, as you view the digital electronics display.
The 3G Cardio Elite UB comes at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $1,299 and can tolerate use by persons of up to 350 pounds
- This bike is a solid heavy duty exercise machine, that is well made and built to last. It is easily adjustable for height and the seat is comfortable for all body types.
- It has a very smooth ride and is sturdy, and will not wobble or shake during usage.
- It is also easy to assemble, and store away when not needed.
- The unit is expensive and is 3-5 times more expensive than other bikes within the same category.
- This unit also has a slow response to resistance adjustment, and is not tech-savvy, as it does not come with a sound system and Bluetooth connectivity.
Other features of the 3G Cardio Elite UB, include handheld contact sensors and a wireless heart rate chest strap.
The console displays can also show Time, RPM, Watt, Distance, Calories, and Heart Rate, and has 1 built-in watt program.
The warranty features of the 3G Cardio Elite UB exercise includes a lifetime warranty on frame and 7 years for parts and 1 year for labor.
2. L NOW D808 Magnetic Upright Bike
The L NOW D808 Magnetic Upright Bikes exercise an elegantly designed bike, with a sturdy steel frame built.
This bike comes with a price of $498 on Amazon.com and is therefore slightly more expensive when compared with other bikes in the same range.
This bike comes with an easily adjustable seat that can be adjusted for height and front to back.
The height range of this bike is pretty impressive and can be comfortably used by anyone from 5 feet to 6.5 feet tall.
The handlebars can be adjusted also for best workout options, and it also features an easy to reach bottle holder and a holder for your phone or portable music system.
For resistance, this exercise bike uses a manual magnetic resistance system, ideal for use even without a power connection.
The magnetic resistance system uses a belt-drive system that gives a smooth, quiet and silent use. The bike uses 8 levels of adjustment, with increased resistance as you level up.
The bike has adjustable pedal straps and can be easily pushed to a corner for storage with the wheels that are at the base of the machine.
- This bike is pretty expensive when compared to other bikes in the same range.
- It has adjustable base stabilizers, to give it more stability. It can also withstand usage by a person of up to 300 pounds in weight.
- The quiet belt drive makes for a hassle-free workout experience without disturbing other home dwellers.
- It also requires very little maintenance due to the belt drive system and is easy to assemble.
- The console display does not come with a backlight, and hence can only be used where there is adequate light.
- The console also doesn’t have preset workout programs and online Bluetooth connectivity.
3. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B1002 Belt Drive Exercise Bike
This exercise bike features a flywheel to increase speed and stability, and create momentum for an efficient workout.
For resistance, the Sunny SF-B1002 uses a felt fabric brake pad system, that enables leveling up easily and creating more and better resistance for a good workout experience.
It also comes with a chain drive mechanism and a heavy-duty crank system.
The design of this exercise bike comes with adjustable handlebars and an ergonomic design for more efficiency and comfort.
The multi-grip handles of the bike are padded for better comfort. It is also designed with adjustable seats that can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically, to give a better height range for the user.
For $167 on Amazon.com, it is a good deal for a good exercise bike that will give you a great workout experience.
- The price point is one of the best reasons to buy this bike. If you are on a budget, this bike will be sure to get the job done without hurting your pocket.
- It is easy to assemble and is economical in the use of space, and is also easy to move.
- The moveable parts need constant maintenance and servicing, as it can get squeaky within a short span of use.
The Sunny Health exercise bike has a frame made from heavy-duty steel, which makes it high quality and durable gym equipment.
4. Marcy ME708
The Marcy ME708 exercise bike, is a stylish mid-range bike, with a compact, modest design and simple looks.
It has a sturdy frame, made from 14-gauge steel tubing, that makes it durable.
The Marcy ME708 bike uses a magnetic resistance system, with 8 preset levels. The levels of resistance are controlled by a manual knob that controls tension and increases resistance smoothly to meet up with your exercise needs.
The seat and handlebars are made from high-density foam for better comfort and quality.
You can get this bike for $124.99 at Target, and $114.94 at Walmart. This makes this bike one of the affordable options from the bikes within the same range.
- This bike is lightweight and mobile and uses minimal space. It also has a good price point, and will not break your bank when you decide to purchase this bike.
- It is not suitable for heavier users and will strain under the use of someone who weighs over 250 pounds. It also lacks stability and will wobble under extremely fast and heavy usage.
Storage and mobility come easy with this stylish bike, that only uses 6.4 square feet of space when set-up, and is also affixed with wheels for convenient mobility.
It comes with an easy to read console meter, to display time, speed, traveled distance and calories burned.
5. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike
The bike is unique as it can be easily folded and stored away making it convenient and space-saving.
It has an 8 level magnetic tension control system, adjustable to increase levels of resistance. It also has a smooth pedal, with the cranking system employing a high torque operation.
It can accommodate users of up to 300 pounds and has an easily adjustable cushioned seat for people of all sizes.
Amazon.com lists this folding bike at $199.99 including shipping to any location in the United States.
- The bike has a simple, space-saving design and easily folds for storage. The bike is also comfortable due to the large cushioned seats.
- The unit does not require the use of power, and 2 AA size batteries will be sufficient to run the LCD monitor which includes a heart rate tracker.
- The mileage tracker on the console does not handle mileage above 999 miles and resets to zero. The huge seat can be bulky for some users.
- Some of the parts are not durable, including the pedals and flywheel, which may need replacement within a short period of usage.
It also features a digital monitor to display distance, calories burned, workout time and pulse rate. Using hand pulse sensors, the digital display also monitors the heart rate of the user.
This bike requires the use of 2 AA batteries for operation of the LCD monitor.
What To Look For In An Upright Exercise Bike?
When purchasing the best upright stationary bike, your first consideration should be the design.
Look out for the solid features of the exercise bike including the build of the frame, the handlebars, and seats.
Check the ergonomic design of the bike, and confirm that it gives you a comfortable workout.
Feel the seats, and particularly check for adjustability of the seat both horizontally and vertically, and whether the seats have enough padding.
You should check the pedals, and how they are designed and if they have sufficient grip on your feet. Consider if they come with straps for an easier workout.
Check also for the bottle holder and how its position works out for you as you do your exercises.
Look out for the position of the monitor, and test if the controls are within easy reach.
In upright exercise bikes, you should also look for the variety in its resistance levels.
Check for the number of options available for your work-out. The more options available, the better the bike for your exercise needs.
Consider what the bike uses to create resistance. This could be magnetic tensions, chain drive systems or belt-driven. The type of resistance used will also determine the durability of the system, so you should consider your maintenance needs.
Check for the controls and knobs used for the resistance system, and how easy it is to transition from one resistance to another.
Also, consider whether the resistance system has manual controls that do not require power.
When looking for an upright exercise bike, another aspect that you must put into consideration is the height range.
Upright bikes come in all varieties, and some bikes may be unsuitable for short or tall people.
Check out, therefore, the adjustment ranges, and whether the unit can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically.
The adjustments will work to change the distance between the pedals and the seats, as well as the distance between the seat and the handlebars.
You may want to get an upright bike that will have as big adjustment as possible, to cater to all the people who may want to use the bike.
You should also think about the control module when considering the features that you should go for.
The control module will be used for changing settings while on the bike exercise, and they should be within easy reach and with a wide variety of options.
It should also enable you to make changes to the display and workout programs on your exercise bike and to set targets for time, distance and calories for yourself during the workout.
Consider also whether the control module can interface with other wireless technologies such as Bluetooth technology.
Other secondary features that you need to consider include space and ease of mobility and stowing away.
This will mostly be dependent on where this equipment will be kept, and the space available.
- Check the size of space that it will occupy when installed, and check out also for the weight of the unit and whether it comes with wheels for ease of movement when you are done working out.
- Consider guarantees and warranties that come with the purchase of the upright exercise bike.
- You should be able to get full refund guarantees, and free parts replacement warranty of at least one year.
- Look out for the digital display monitors, and how they function, and what information you can get from there.
- Check whether you have displays for time, speed, distance and calories burned, and the range of information that is available on the display unit.
- You may also wish to check the quietness of the unit as it works at all resistance levels. This is dependent on whether you prefer a quiet work out while watching TV or when everybody else is asleep.
The upright exercise bike is a piece of essential gym equipment for every commercial or home gym.
The choices are wide and varied, and every user will be certain to find a bike that will meet their price target, exercise requirements and aesthetic or design appeal.
From the ones we have reviewed in this article, I consider the L NOW D808 Magnetic Upright Bike, to be the best upright exercise bike.
The bike comes packed with some of the best features, and with its ergonomic design is a sure bet for every home workout enthusiast.
I hope that what we have packed into this article will help your purchase decision, whether it’s for your home or office gym, and that the information contained herein has been useful.
- Budget Exercise Bikes – cheaper, but high quality alternatives.
- Best Air Bikes – My top recommendations after trying a lot of options.
- Best Recumbent Bikes on the Market
- Recumbent Bikes for Seniors
- Best Mini Steppers on the market – small, but powerful weight loss tools.
- The Best Folding Excercise Bikes Money Can Buy
I’m a personal trainer based in Denver (Matrix Gym) and a true fitness nerd. If I’m not training clients or working out at my home gym, I’m probably skiing, cycling or hiking with my dog Rufus.
Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org