When it comes to working out, your attire may be key to both your mindset and performance in the gym. Like a proper sports bra, pair of shoes, and workout pants, the right workout top will be vital to maximizing comfort so you can stay focused even during a strenuous workout routine on a hot day.
While style, fashion, and fit will play a role in the clothes you choose, you also want to make sure they provide you with the support you need. Generally, the best workout tops for women will be supportive and comfortable, equipped with anti-chafing fabrics and anti-moisture technology.
However, the best workout tops for you may depend on the type of exercises you choose to do. For example, if your daily workouts consist of low-impact training like yoga and Pilates, the kind of top will not be the same if you prefer high-impact aerobic exercises like boxing, weightlifting, or HIIT training.
If your preference is low-impact training, it is recommended that you find something that is not too loose, so you are not too exposed while performing something like a downward dog. On the other hand, if you prefer high-impact workouts, then you may still want a top that holds your upper body in place but has a bit more of a relaxed or even loose fit.
Regardless of your height, weight, build, or breast size, there are plenty of workout tops that will be right for you. Here are a few great tops that will serve you well in the gym.
1. Mippo Mesh Workout Tank Top
- Summer workout yoga tops for women with soft mesh, show off your sexy charming back and a cool feeling
- Open or tie back workout tank tops for women, cute and sports, offer you a awesome vision and maximum comfort
- Super soft fabric, breathable, easy to care, comfortable and cute, great for sports yoga workout clothes
- Perfect womens tank tops for yoga, running, exercise, fitness, gym, ahtletic and any type of workout or everyday wear
- Please check the size information in the description below before ordering instead of the default amazon size chart
This workout top is one of the top workout tops for women on Amazon, with over 6000 perfect ratings. It has a mesh-material back and a versatile structure at the back that you can tie in a knot or leave loose. As such, you can use them for both high-impact workouts like running and low-impact training workouts like yoga. They are made of soft fabric and offer great ventilation, so you get enough airflow as you exert more and more energy.
2. Amazon Essentials Slim Fit Tank Top
- Slightly tailored fit through the waist
- Soft, lightweight and breathable rib knit fabric with stretch
- Straight hem
- An Amazon brand
This is a great budget option and is only $15 for two shirts. They come with a comfortable and flexible melange of 58% cotton, 39% modal, and 3% spandex that will not deteriorate when you wash them. They are also multi-purposed and are great as an undershirt for everyday use. They also come in an array of different colors, such as black and striped.
3. Just My Size Cooldri Tank Top
- 100% polyester interlock.
- Innovative Cool DRI performance tanks keep you dry and comfortable thanks to lightweight, rapid-dry interlock fabric that wicks moisture away from the...
- 40+ UPF rating provides excellent UV protection.
- Sporty shirttail hem.
- Tagless neckline.
This is a loose-fitted workout tank top with a tagless design, so you do not feel that skin irritation at the back of your neck. It also comes with straps that are nice and wide so you can cover your sports bra straps. This top is also made from polyester, making it lightweight, moisture-wicked, and breathable in hotter weather. They also provide ample UV protection, making them an excellent choice for outdoor workouts in the heat.
4. Brooks Women’s Distance Tank Top
- Brooks Apparel Size Chart
- It may look like a simple running tank, but don't underestimate the power of the performance-ready Brooks® Distance Running Tank Top.
- Semi-fitted cut follows the contours of the body.
- DriLayer® fabric wicks sweat away to keep you comfortable and dry.
- Scoop neckline. Sleeveless design. Racerback construction with keyhole cutout at nape. Droptail hemline. 88% recycled polyester, 12% lyocell. Machine...
This tank top is ideal for running and high-impact workouts with moisture-wicking capabilities that keep your upper body fresh and dry during your entire workout. They have a scoop neckline and racerback design and are equipped with a small keyhole cut-out for some added style. They are also very well-fitted without feeling a bit too tight. They come in 5 different colors and multiple sizes.
5. Icyzone Muscle Workout Tank
- √ An exaggerated armhole design lets the tank hang over loosely for a relaxed feel
- √ Racerback style with bound edges and flatlock seams
- √ Flat-lock stitching to reduce chafing. Please zoom in the product picture and fabric details to make sure it's what you want
- √ This Women's Training Tank is ideal for your workout. Lightweight, sweat-wicking fabric helps keep you dry, while a hip-hugging cut and slightly...
- √ Please check our size chart before purchasing if you are the first time to buy this product. Enter our store to find the matching part: sports...
Icyzone’s new muscle tank is one of the best workout tops for women out there since it is well-ventilated and never feels stifling while you workout. Its material, made from 70% polyester and 30% rayon, also gives it a comfortable feel. It has large armholes for a more relaxed feel since it is designed with strength training and lifting exercises in mind. It also has a nice sleek but simple look and comes in 10 different colors.
Overall, the best top for you will depend on the type of workout you prefer. However, the best workout tops for women will always be ones that are comfortable, light, and moisture-resistant to make sure your clothes are not a barrier to your performance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are answers to a few of the more commonly asked questions regarding workout tops for women.
What tops should I not wear to the gym?
The best materials for the gym will be anything that you feel comfortable in. Generally, you should avoid 100% cotton fabrics or anything too loose or too tight. While cotton-based materials may be convenient to wear, they tend to absorb all your sweat and become very damp and subsequently heavy.
Even if they are very comfortable when you start your workout, they will not be towards the end. Synthetic fabrics are generally much more breathable and have moisture-wicking capabilities to ensure you stay dry as you workout.
Can I just wear a sports bra to the gym?
If you are new to the gym, this might be a question hanging on your mind. You can wear sports bras to the gym if they provide you with proper support. In some ways, they might be a great choice since they provide you with a broader range of motion in your upper body.
However, synthetic gym T-shirts and Tank tops are also just as effective for your workouts if you want a bit more coverage and, unlike cotton T-shirts, will not make you sweat too much.
How many gym tops do I need?
If you work out regularly, you should have at least 3-5 different workout shirts, so you do not have to wash the shirt every time you work out.