Having an at-home gym has its fair share of advantages. It allows you to fit your exercise routine into your schedule and exercise in a comfortable atmosphere.
You can also easily make fitness a family affair, ensuring that your children and spouse are in good shape.
One of the most popular at-home gym products is Total Gym, which is an all-in-one machine.
Most people are however so engrossed in the Total Gym that they miss the opportunity to explore other available options.
This article will, therefore, look at some of the Total Gym alternatives that you can utilize to get fit. Keep reading to know more. Let’s get started.
What is The Total Gym?
The Total Gym is an all-in-one compact home gym that allows you a range of eighty exercises and a complete gym session in only twenty minutes. How marvelous?
This gym equipment offers a full-body workout, focusing on all the major muscles of the body, leaving you all satisfied.
The dip and pressing bars are responsible for the upper body and the lower body workout is taken care of by the leg pull and a squat stand.
The Total Gym machine has a number of advantages. These are:
- It is highly versatile. Total Gym offers you a variety of exercise options, each focusing on a different part of the body, which is more than free weights can offer. You can also have a full-body workout in only twenty minutes.
- It is ergonomic. The articulate design of Total Gym makes it highly comfortable. You get to perform a range of exercises with ease without sacrificing your comfort. It has a smooth sliding motion that allows you to move back and forth easily.
- Total Gym offers the best training for strength and cardio, which is an upgrade since most of the home gym equipment focus on either one of the two. One of the best products in this line is the Total Gym 1900.
- It also works with Pilates. You can easily attach your Pilates bar to the machine and perform different stretching exercises that a variety of gym equipment does not offer.
- Adding extra weights. One of the most significant disadvantages of this gym equipment is the inability to add additional weights, which is a massive blow to bodybuilders and people intending to have super-heavy fitness routines. In case you need an intense workout with a lot of weight, you might need free weights.
- In as much as Total Gym has a weight limit of 350 lbs, it does not accommodate people weighing above 350 pounds. If you need a Total Gym trainer that can serve up to 350 lbs., you will have to spend more on the Total Gym XLS.
What Do People Say?
From the Amazon reviews and the company’s website, it is quite clear that people are content with Total Gym home equipment.
Most people are for the idea that it offers value for money and do not regret buying the equipment. Should I get it? Let’s look at the alternatives first.
Total Gym Alternatives - Top 5 Picks
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
Another amazing alternative is the Vigorfit, which is an all-in-one gym equipment that offers up to 107 exercises.
It comes with a free push-up bar, a pull-up bar, a sit-up station, a toe bar, a squat board, Pilates kit, power resistance bands, and a work out manual.
- Vigorfit has a high resistance level. Without including the power bands, this machine offers up to 15 levels of resistance standards. However, with the five power resistance bands, you get a resistance level of 75.
- Warranty. Vigorfit home equipment offers a lifetime warranty on all its parts, which is a better deal than all the other home-based gym equipment that provides a lifetime warranty on the frame only.
- The Vigorfit home equipment has a Pilates kit for people who are looking forward to performing Pilates exercises. It also has more basic attachments that allow a range of bars.
- User weight limit. The Vigorfit home system only allows a weight range of up to 350 lbs, which does not accommodate quite a number of people.
- The number of models. The Vigorfit Home gym equipment only has one model, the Vigorfit 3000.
2. Weider Ultimate Body Works
The Weider Ultimate Body Works is a sizable at-home gym system that incorporates calisthenics with a cable pulley system and resistance cords to deliver an all-rounded workout.
It has an adjustable incline and a back support
- Resistance. The Weider Ultimate Body Works has a relatively high level of resistance thanks to the steeper inclines that increases the overall weight resistance. It also has 4X resistance bands that increase the weight resistance by fifty pounds.
- Ease of assembly. This at-home gym equipment comes with parts that are easy to assemble, giving you an easy time and saving you time for your work out expeditions.
- Settings. This product has a variety of incline settings that supports different strength and fitness levels.
- Versatility. This product has a highly versatile cable movement that makes stretching of different muscle groups easy.
- The gliding mechanism is quite noisy.
- It does not come with an exercise guide.
- It requires more space.
3. Bayou Fitness Total Trainer
The Bayou Fitness bodyweight trainer is a reliable at-home gym equipment that utilizes body weight to create resistance, thereby eliminating the need for relatively heavy body weights.
It offers you an opportunity to adjust the percentage of body weight thanks to the up and down inclines.
- Quality. The Bayou Fitness Total trainer has a super-strong steel frame that offers the best foundation for intense body workout. Coupled up with its extensive and comfortable glide board, you get value for your money.
- Weight capacity. The Bayou Fitness total trainer has a weight capacity of 400lbs, which is higher than that of its counterpart. You can also add plate weights for extra intensity.
- Extras. This equipment comes with several extras that will shape up your home exercises. It, therefore, has a curl press bar, a push-up bar, a heavy-duty squat board, among other materials.
- The Bayou Fitness Total trainer is not designed for mass and strength building due to its limited resistance for bodybuilding workouts. You might need free weights, therefore.
- It performs limited exercises.
4. AeroPilates Reformer Plus 379
The AeroPilates reformer Plus 379 is a cheaper alternative to Total Gym home equipment. It is one of the most known and used reformers.
This machine is built for serious home Pilates workout. It can perform various exercises.
- Portability. This equipment is highly portable, thanks to the built-in wheels. It can, therefore, be moved easily from place to place.
- Variety of workouts. Even though this product is built for serious Pilates workout, it can also perform several other workout activities thanks to the rounded top and the cushioned foot bar.
- Resistance. The Aeropilates Reformer Plus 379 has a high level of resistance thanks to the four resistance cords which have different standards.
- Adjustments. This reformer’s straps might not be as easy to adjust, which will give you a difficult time. It does not also come with a foot strap.
- It has a low ground clearance.
5. TRX Home Suspension Trainer
The TRX Home Suspension Trainer is an all-in-one machine that offers an all-rounded workout in less than twenty minutes. It cuts across different skill levels, starting from starters to upgraders.
- Lightweight. This home training equipment is light hence portable and can, therefore, be easily used when traveling. Its weight also makes it easy to install into your home.
- Variety of workouts. This product offers a variety of full-body workouts ranging from flexibility to strengthening and cardio exercises.
- Price. The TRX Home Suspension comes at a great cost, which cannot be said for other gym equipment. You get to enjoy a variety of full-body workouts for an affordable price.
- This gym equipment has challenging workouts since it requires suspension training.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get your last-minute queries answered here!
Is a Total Gym worth it?
Total Gyms and their alternatives are worth it, depending on what you want from your workout.
Yes, Total Gyms aren’t the most advanced technology, but their solid construction allows for a full-body workout.
They are popular machines that customers enjoy and find them an excellent in-between option. When deciding if a Total Gym is worth it, consider your routine and how it would add to your fitness plan.
How much should I spend on a total gym alternative?
The amount you spend will depend on your budget, be sure to set a budget and stick to it as much as possible.
Your alternative should be cheaper than a total gym, saving you money and providing you with a good quality piece of equipment. Remember that you don’t need to spend a fortune; there’s a piece of equipment for every budget.
How often should I work out with total gym alternatives?
You can use your total gym alternative every day if you want to! It is recommended that you use it for roughly 20 minutes a day to avoid any injuries. You can adjust the number of times a week you use your total gym alternative based on your fitness plan.
For those starting, use it twice a week and gradually increase the usage as your fitness improves. Remember to stop if you experience any pain and contact a professional if needed.
Will Total Gym build muscle?
Yes, Total Gyms can help to build muscles! Total Gym machines are designed to deliver full-body workouts, perfect for strength, resistance, and cardio.
When used consistently as part of a workout routine, you can see your muscles grow. You can see your upper and lower body muscles grow and tone.
What should I do instead of going to the gym?
There are plenty of options for those that don’t want to go to the gym! Besides our fantastic alternatives to the total gym we looked at, you can try running, swimming, at-home gym equipment, and exercise videos.
All of these can be used separately or as part of a wider workout routine. Why not try a few and find the best methods that suit you?
What do you need for an at-home gym?
What you need for your at-home gym will depend on the exercises you want to do. For those wanting to build muscles, freestanding pieces such as dumbbells, jump ropes, and resistance bands are excellent options, especially for beginners.
For those wanting to expand, cardio machines can be fantastic additions. Indoor rowers, treadmills, bikes, or cross trainers are excellent options. You can also include a full-body or strength training set for a gym that will enhance your workouts!
Are treadmills worth it?
Deciding if a treadmill is worth it is a personal choice. They are fantastic options for all-weather training if the rain puts you off.
But they can be expensive, and many users don’t enjoy the static running motion. Weigh up your options before making any purchase to ensure that the treadmill is worth your while.
If you are a solo runner and want to avoid getting wet, then a treadmill can be a fantastic addition to your gym.
You can clearly see that there are several Total Gym alternatives. All five have their share of advantages and disadvantages.
In case you are wondering which among the five you should get, I think the best value for money option is the Weiderfit one., which has super high resistance levels for full-body workouts.
This amazing machine has a wide range of exercises, which makes it a better alternative to the Total Gym.
Did you like our article? We have more in store for you. Do check our website for other reviews like our Best Workout Bench article.
I’m a personal trainer based in Denver (Matrix Gym) and a true fitness nerd. If I’m not training clients or working out at my home gym, I’m probably skiing, cycling or hiking with my dog Rufus.
Get in touch: email@example.com